One of the play items I have recently put together is this 'Space' themed sensory box. It was really easy to put together and the children have had so much fun with it, that I have to take it back to every session. You can use a variety of items to put your sensory bin together.
Here is a list of what I used:
- A box with a lid
- Ordinary white dried cooking rice
- Pack of wild rice to mix in
- A thunder birds space rocket with sound effects
- A selection of small play spaceships
- A metal space shuttle
- A toy from a children's meal that lights up when pressed
- A selection of space small world play items
- A pack of planets in various sizes
I mixed the toys into the rice and asked the children if they could find the.......small spaceship, big spaceship etc.
I asked them questions about what they found such as 'what noise do you think it makes', 'what can we do with it', asking open ended questions.
You could also take pictures of the items and ask the children to find them and match to the pictures while telling you about the items.
They also just love playing make believe with the items and having fun with the sensory side.