Friday 22 July 2016

My home made space play mat

So as promised here is my low cost / no cost home made recycled cardboard box space play mat.  As my boys are a lot older now i don,t have as many toys to add to it but i don't think it turned out too badly.  I have had so much fun putting this together this morning.

What I used:

  • Empty cereal box flattened
  • Left over wallpaper from when I decorated my sons room which happened to be space themed
  • Left over white wallpaper from decorating another room
  • Empty egg box carton used to enhance the craters on the moon
  • Scraps of wallpaper rolled into balls
  • Kitchen foil to warp around the wallpaper balls to make moon rocks
  • Sellotape
  • Pencil to create craters on the moon
  • Empty lime juice bottle for the rocket
  • Coloured paper and funky foam (neoprene) to decorate the rocket
What I added:
  • Alien finger puppets made for a previous project
  • Some of my sons Star Wars Lego characters
The empty cereal box....



Leftover space wallpaper from my sons room....


I used the space wallpaper to cover the cardboard box and secured with tape.....


Then placed another piece on the underside and secured with tape to make the play mat stronger....


After scrunching up scraps of the wallpaper into balls, I then wrapped them in the kitchen foil shaping them to look like moon rocks....


The recycled lime juice bottle ready to make the rocket....


The added white leftover wallpaper cut out to represent the moon and the cut up egg box to add to the crater effect....


Here is the bottle decorated with the coloured paper and funky foam as a rocket....


Then i added some home made alien finger puppets from a previous project to add to the fun ready for play....

Then I added some Lego Star Wars characters, a bit smaller than the aliens but heroes come in all sizes....


Crew on their way to help their buddies conquer the aliens....


One down and one to go....


It doesnt have to cost to develop imagination, creativity, small world play and language skills.  Look around your home today and see what you can come up with.  I would love to see your makes : )



No comments:

Post a Comment