Friday 22 July 2016

My home made cardboard box princess play mat

Ok so I have to admit after making the space mat, I wanted to have a go at making a princess play mat.  Living with three males and having a male cat, I do sometimes have a little urge to be girly.

What I used:


  • Larger flattened out cereal box
  • Left over slate effect wallpaper to represent the pathways in the grounds of the castle
  • 2 x sheets of blue tissue paper
  • 1 x pack of funky foam (neoprene) from the pound shop
  • Glue gun
  • Sellotape
  • scissors
  1. After flattening the cereal box, I covered it with the wallpaper and secured with tape.
  2. I decided on what I wanted to include on the play mat  and cut the pieces out of the foam.  For my play mat I decided on a pink castle (but of course), a pond with goldfish (because the princess who lives here likes to sit by the pond and watch the fish), some flower beds (because she likes pretty flowers), a space for the carriage to be parked, somewhere for her best friend to guard the palace (her dog) and somewhere for her horse to graze and drink with a very large sunshine because the sun always shines here.
  3. I then measured and glued the tissue paper in place for the sky before gluing the castle pieces and sunshine on top.  
  4. I set out the pieces for the grounds on the board before gluing to make sure I was happy with the positioning. 
  5. Finally I added the finishing touches such as the grass, flowers and goldfish.
Unfortunately I don't have a horse or dog figure to add, but I cant wait to find some in the local charity shops.

Cheap, cheerful and ready for play.  Get your little ones involved in making the mats.  As they lie flat and can be stored easily you can make a few of these.  What about the following:
  • Zoo
  • Jungle
  • Road 
  • Dolls house - different rooms with printable furniture glued on from the internet
What else can you come up with?



No comments:

Post a Comment